A Giants celebration, some morning reading & 28 days until spring training
They had me worried for a little while, but the New York Giants are headed to the NFL title game . And that is pretty awesome, because I don’t think anyone was expecting this back in December. I know I wasn’t. (Slightly less awesome are the two weeks of mind-numbing hype that we have to look forward to, but what are you gonna do?)
We’re just four weeks – 28 days – away from the official start of spring training for the New York Mets.
There were a few interesting items that I spotted over the weekend:
- Mike Piazza says he wants to go into the Hall of Fame as a New York Met… which would be far more interesting if his opinion actually mattered. Assuming that the Baseball Writers of America base their votes on statistics and not unfounded speculation, the Hall of Fame will choose the cap that appears on Piazza’s plaque. [via ESPN NY]
- Mark Tomasik of TCPalm.com looked back at the 1962 New York Mets, “a flawed but embraceable option to the imperial Yankees.” [via The Real Dirty Mets Blog]
- Shannon Shark dug up a New York Times article from 1989 written by Diane Ketcham about the New York Mets ball girls. [via MetsPolice]
- Nathaniel Stoltz of Seedlings to Stars looks at Mets outfield prospect Juan Lagares.
- Dan Cichalski of 11th and Washington updates us on the progress of an autographed photo project he’s working on and tells us about his experiences at the weekend’s two big autograph shows.