Pat Burrell, the Rally Squirrel and 20 days ’til spring training
With 20 days to go before the official start of spring training for the New York Mets, here are a few items from around baseball:
- Remember the St. Louis Cardinals’ rally squirrel? He’s pushing Skip Schumaker to the side on a super-short-print version of the St. Louis secondbaseman’s 2012 Topps baseball card. There are already a few copies for sale on eBay… including one where the bidding has passed the $600 mark. While I think it’s a fun card, I wouldn’t pay more than a couple of bucks for it so I don’t expect to be adding the rally squirrel to my collection.
- Ronny Paulino is officially a former Met. He signed a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles yesterday that includes an invitation to spring training camp. I’m not sure if he’s got a real shot to back up Matt Wieters, but I suppose I wish him well. (I still need to try to get his 2011 Topps Update card signed for my Mets autograph collection, though.)
- ESPN New York reports that reliever Taylor Buchholz will sit out the 2012 season as he continues to battle anxiety and depression. I definitely wish him well, whether a return to baseball is in the cards or not.
- When Gary Carter‘s baseball team at Palm Beach Atlantic University opens its season this week, team members hope that Carter will be able to attend according to an article in The Palm Beach Post.
- The Trenton Thunder announced their 2012 Promotional Schedule, which includes eight bobbleheads and a baseball card set giveaway on June 8th.
Posted on January 31, 2012, in Baseball, New York Mets and tagged Baltimore Orioles, Gary Carter, New York Mets, Pat Burrell, rally squirrel, Ronny Paulino, spring training, St. Louis Cardianls, Taylor Buchholz, Trenton Thunder. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.