Baseball season 2013 wrap-up
The Mets are limping to the end of their fifth consecutive losing season. I’m not sure what’s harder to believe – that Citi Field is five years old already, or that the Mets have never enjoyed success there. Hopefully the Wilpon family finances and the Mets’ talent will change things next year, though I have to admit I have doubts.
I still have plans to go to somewhere between two and five more baseball games before the calendar page turns, but it feels like the season is just about over for me, too.
This year, I went to the ballpark 30 times and saw 27 games.
There were 3 extra inning affairs, including the June 8th 20-inning game between the Mets and Marlins, the longest one I’ve ever watched in person. (it actually felt like I saw more extra inning games, perhaps due to the length of two of them. Besides the 20 inning game, I was also at the 15 inning July 4th game between the Mets and Diamondbacks and a 10 inning one between the Trenton Thunder and the Portland Sea Dogs.)
There were two rainouts (both at Yankee Stadium) and one rain delay (at Citi Field).
And there was one game that started in April and ended in July. (I was only able to catch the last 7 innings of that one.)
Here’s my record at the different ballparks I visited in 2013:
- Citi Field – the Mets are 3-6; the USA Futures Team was 1-0
- TD Bank Park – the Somerset Patriots are 4-2
- Arm & Hammer Park – the Trenton Thunder were 3-1
- Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium – the Newark Bears were 0-2
- Yankee Stadium – the Yankees are 1-0
- Coca-Cola Park – the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs were 1-0
- First Energy Stadium – the Reading Fightin Phils were 1-0
- Metro Bank Park – the Harrisburg Senators were 0-1
- First Energy Park – the Lakewood BlueClaws were 1-0
Coolest giveaway item: a baseball card set featuring the Trenton Thunder’s All-Time Team.
Most random giveaway item: a Jay Horowitz bobblehead.
Best food (that I ate): pulled pork sandwich at First Energy Park
Ballpark I wish was close enough to visit regularly: Harrisburg’s Metro Bank Park
How many games & ballparks did you get to go to this season? What were your highlights?