Morning reading: Development or dollars – why did Houston send top prospect George Springer to the minor leagues?
Houston Astros prospect George Springer hit .161 this spring, but service time concerns are probably the real reason he’ll open the year in the minor leagues. Houston reportedly offered the 24-year-old outfielder a seven-year, $23 million contract before he played a game in the major leagues, but Springer turned it down. By keeping him in the minor leagues to start the season, the Astros can delay Springer’s eligibility for salary arbitration and free agency. His agent is reportedly considering whether to file a grievance. (FOX Sports and Houston Chronicle)
Embed from Getty Images
Other MLB items of interest:
- One baseball scout told CBS Sports‘ Jon Heyman that the New York Yankees’ infield has the least range of any in the major leagues. (Just imagine if Alex Rodriguez wasn’t suspended this year.)
- At Mets Today, Joe Janish offered his thoughts about how pitchers can avoid Tommy John surgery.
- Over at Hot Stove Baseball, I wrote about five New York Mets prospects who won’t be on the Opening Day roster, but could make an impact in 2014.
Three Atlantic League items:
- On Monday, the Somerset Patriots announced the launch of their own online media network at SPN.tv. The site will feature year-round programming, including things like the “Sparky Lyle Show” and some live game broadcasts.
- The Bridgeport Bluefish have signed former Houston Astros catcher J.R. Towles, who joins a roster that also includes former major leaguers Sean Burroughs, Scott Maine, Luis Lopez and Prentice Redman.
- Bobby Kielty, who’s last at-bat in the major leagues was a game winning home run in the 2007 World Series, is trying to make a comeback with the Lancaster Barnstormers after “retiring” in 2012. (MyCentralJersey.com)
Who’s looking forward to X-Men: Days of Future Past? We’ve got a new trailer to be excited about.
Posted on March 25, 2014, in Baseball, Somerset Patriots and tagged Atlantic League, Baseball, Bobby Kielty, George Springer, Houston Astros, J.R. Towles, somerset patriots. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.